Lake Powell to WI to TX....Over 3000 Miles All in ONE Wild Week

One year ago this week, it was crunch time. Not as in “I have to study for a test”, “school starts tomorrow”, or “quick get the trash out as the trash man is driving up the street", but as in “we are moving to TX and we leave in a few days”. If you have ever moved, you probably understand the myriad of feelings and activities that engulf you. My last relocation had been to Jaesville, WI from Alabama in February of 1988 and my most recent move had been from the farm house in Janesville to Linden Ave in Janesville in December of 1996. Leaving WI after thirty years in the same town and 22 years in the same home resulted in a lot of root pulling, both physically and emotionally.


“I remember You upon my bed, and meditate on You in the watches of the night; for You have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me.” Psalm 63:6-8


Last night as I lay in bed, I realized last year at this time was the week of leaving. My mind replayed the week and I meditated on how God has continually been our help!


Organizing and planning the 1st week of August 2018 was brain maximizing. Starting in Lake Powell, Utah on Saturday, we went to NE on to WI back to NE and finally to TX arriving the following Saturday. Good thing I like to travel. But I must admit after that trip, even I was tired of traveling. And so thankful that God’s right hand upholds me. 


On August 3, 2018, we returned from our annual family vacation at Lake Powell in Utah. (Our Lake Powell vacation included all 4 of our sons & their 2 girls- we were singing for joy that we were all able to gather together before the BIG MOVE for an incredibly special vacation.) We traveled across UT and CO to NE and on Sunday morning, we worshipped with our dear friends, the Burmas. After unhooking our red boat, which we had taken to Lake Powell, and leaving it with the Burmas to “boat sit”, we headed to University of NE in Lincoln to drop #3 son off for RA training. On Monday we completed our trip back to Janesville, after stopping in Rock Island, IL to visit the cemetery where David’s parents and sister are buried and going to Whiteys, a delicious local ice cream store. (Chocolate chip cookie dough is my favorite -lots of extra chocolate chips in addition to the chocolate chip cookie dough.) https://www.whiteysicecream.com/menu/


Monday evening, Tuesday, and Wednesday were supposed to be more packing time. However as often happens in life, the days were filled with a multitude of interruptions. Wonderful interruptions of friends and patients stopping by our home to say good-bye, of bon-fires encircled with friends as we shared memories and prayers, and of many tears and lots of laughter. Particularly I remember one of my son’s friends praying that our home in Texas would be filled with friends and laughter, just as it was in Wisconsin. Every time our Texas home is filled with laughter and friends, I remember God’s yes answer of that prayer and I sing for joy.


We needed to leave Thursday morning. Wednesday night about 10 pm the doorbell rang. I emphatically pronounced to my husband, “We have to be packed! Whoever it is at the door will just have to come to our bedroom so we can finish getting our clothes packed for Texas! (Once we got to Texas, we were planning to stay at my brother’s home until we bought our home, so by this point we had given up on trying to get everything in the house packed and were frantically just trying to get packed what we would need for a few months, knowing I was going to have to come back to finish packing up the rest before the movers arrived.) At the door stood one of our best friends, who came for one last goodbye, and thankfully didn’t mind finding a place to sit in our bedroom amidst all the stuff while we finished loading our suitcases. 


Thursday morning, we left on our big adventure. Excited. Tired. Scared. God's right hand upholds us. God had guided us to this point and we all were blessed with peace knowing that He was leading the way! Our little expedition included my husband and #4 son in our very full suburban pulling a
U-Haul car trailer loaded up with Grandpa’s pick-up truck (David’s dad’s old 1979 Dodge pick-up) which was loaded up with Grandma’s furniture. I followed in my little filled to the brim red car. We arrived in Perry, IA, to drop the pick-up truck with dear friends, the Bice family, who were storing our pick-up in their barn. Grandma’s furniture was wrangled, tied and duct taped to the car trailer. (We prayed for no rain, until we could get the furniture safely delivered to #3 son at UNL that evening.) After dinner at Lucky Pig with our friends, we continued safely on to Lincoln, NE. No rain!


Friday morning, we spent some time helping our college son get a little more settled-hunted for a room rug and a few more college essentials-and delivered the U-Haul trailer to the drop off location. After a walk and lunch at Cane’s, we said our sad good-byes, driving back the 80 miles to the Burmas to hitch up our red boat to pull to Texas. 


Saturday was a long driving day of anticipation and reflection. Finally, we crossed the Texas border! After about 4 more hours, we arrived at my brother’s home. Many times in the past we had been at his house for vacation. It was hard to imagine that now when we arrived we were actually staying in Texas! We were lovingly greeted by my brother and his wife, my niece, her husband and 2 sweet kids. And some of us might have even kissed the ground!

“I remember You upon my bed, and meditate on You in the watches of the night; for You have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me.” Psalm 63:6-8



Now a year later, we are mostly settled into our own home. Our year has been filled with many blessings of extended family and friends, laughter, Concordia High School, fulfilling work, and so much more. I sing for joy in thanksgiving to God as His right hand upholds me. I remember His help.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful God brought you here. God is using you and your family - many strong blessings and strong prayer leadership for many people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! We are blessed and so excited for the opportunities here!

    ReplyDelete