Stuck in My Rocking Chair With Covid and I Cannot Get Out


My time has come…covid. My "medical" husband and I had just been contemplating the fact that after all this time and multiple exposures to covid, maybe I was just one of those people who would not get covid. Then whammy; I was struck with the dreaded virus. Only it was not too bad. In fact, if there was not so many unknowns, news media dramas, and anxieties swirling over "covid", this would have been another "run of the mill" illness. I have had worse. 

So what are the knowns
1. God is, and always will be, in charge of the universe. (Genesis 1, Hebrews 1:1-4, Psalm 8:1-4)
2. The death rate is 100% for everyone. We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God and the punishment of sin is death. (Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23)
3. Jesus has paid the price of our sin and for those who believe in Jesus as Savior, we will have eternal life in Heaven with God forever where there will be no more sickness or sadness. YEAH!! (Ephesians 4:2-9, John 3:16-17, Revelation 21:4)
4. As the covid virus mutates, it will become more contagious, but thankfully less deadly. I love the number of times God assures us, "Do not fear." I love the number of times God tells us, He is with us. Immanuel-God with us. I love that no matter what, God holds us.  (Deuteronomy 31:8, Matthew 1:23, Isaiah 41:13, Psalm 23:4)
5. My heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones from or with covid. But my heart also goes out to those who have and continue to lose loved ones from cancer, heart disease, diabetes, dementia, depression, car accidents, etc. (See #2.) 

My worse symptom was an incredible fatigue that hit me early Sunday morning. I did not go to church. I did not get out of my pajamas. I did not get of of my rocker recliner. (I am a mover. HA. Very unlike me to sit for me than 30 minutes at a time.) However, as I look back it was a good time. Yes, a good time!


My covid thankful list:
1. I am so thankful we had a good time with all four of our boys, two lovely daughters-by-love, and our sweet Baby James home between Christmas & New Year. I am so happy I was not sick when they were home; I became sick the day they left. (I am so glad none of them ended up sick.)
2. I am so thankful for my sweet doctor.  She was so helpful, caring, and easily accessible.
3. I am so thankful I was able to do a ton of reading. It was great! Hours and hours of uninterrupted reading. I never have time to sit and read...Or actually I am never very good at sitting for extended periods of time to read. 
4. I am so thankful for fellow commiserators. My sister from Michigan had covid, too, so we had great long phone conversations. One of my best friends, also had it. Her word for the year was "whimsey" and we shared great whimsical conversations and laughter through our texts. 
5. I am so thankful for #3 son home on college break who- without even being asked- cooked meals for us, cleaned up our home from the holiday clutter, and did multiple loads of laundry of towels and sheets from everyone being home. Another reason to resist killing your teenagers.
6. I’m so thankful that I was ok. Still a tiny bit on the mend. Steroids helped.
7. I am so thankful for alka seltzer cold plus & cough medicine. They did not have that in Laura Ingalls Wilder days. 

So many of us are suffering-from illnesses, loss, disappointments, fear of future. Our nation is in a heap of hurt whether it be political disagreement, racial disharmony, differences of opinions regarding vaccinations or masks, and so much more.

Contemplate this in crazy covid times: If each one of of us could live out what the Apostle Paul exhorts us to do, life could be so much better. I encourage you to encourage your family and friends to uphold each other in living life better, living life God's way: "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:4-7

10 comments:

  1. Great reminders! God walks with us in all our life situations with HIS love and forgiveness, and HIS peace and presence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen Sue! Glad you are recovering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes we can take good health for granted. Thankful to have gotten through this illness.

      Delete
  3. Beautifully written/spoken (I can hear you saying all of this!) Karen Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie. The more I think about it, the more I realize how much I needed the rest.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing! What a great reminder of all the wealth that I truly have ❤️- Melissa

    ReplyDelete