The Correct Party Attire?

Party attire disaster! My husband and I headed to a December party to welcome a new coworker and his wife to the community. 


When I asked my husband about what to wear, he replied that the invitation had stated casual attire, which in Texas, is often the M.O. We arrived with excitement anticipating a pleasurable evening. (With covid, our attendance at parties has been limited.) As we walked up to the exquisite home on the lake with festive Christmas decorations, I realized something was not right. The hostess was dressed up. Every women in the room was dressed to the nines with their best party dress and fancy shoes. I felt like I was in rags. The entire night I just wanted to disappear. Looking back, I am surprised I did not leave. "That was cocktail attire, not casual attire," I screamed at my husband through sobs when we were back in the car heading home.

In the days that followed, as I prayed about trying to let go of my frustration, another party came to mind from Matthew 22, the parable of the wedding feast (representing Heaven). To be at the feast, each guest needed the correct attire-the wedding garment provided (representing Jesus Christ's righteousness). The Apostle Paul in Romans 3:22-23 declares, "the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe...all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by His grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Jesus Christ." At Christmas we celebrate with joy, the Savior of the world, the bringer of the robe of righteousness- the correct heavenly wedding party garment (Jesus righteousness). "For unto you is born this day...a Savior who is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11. No more party attire disaster- thanks to Jesus and the righteousness He freely gives!"I will rejoice in the Lord...for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robe of righteousness." Isaiah 61:10

No comments:

Post a Comment