I Just Want to Go Home

"I just want to go home!" cried not only the Murdy family, but also the children of Israel, hurricane victims, refugees, and maybe you?!


Why DID the children of Israel of the Old Testament want to go back to slavery? I always wondered. Suddenly I understood! They just wanted to go HOME, back to familiar territory. As I house hunt and try to adjust to life in a new city, struggling to deal with my own feelings about home, I think about those children of Israel, who left their homes. What did God have for them? “And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead them along the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, that they might travel by day and by night. The pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night did not depart before the people.” (Exodus 13:21-22) God does not depart from us either. In incredible ways, God has also been and continues guiding my family, by open doors (and closed ones, too), by words of trusted Christian family and friends, by our Bible readings and devotions, by messages from sermons and songs. God has brought us to this new place and we trust that He has a new home for us.


To the children of Israel and throughout the Bible, God reminds His people not to worry or be afraid. “It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you: He will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” (Deuteronomy 31:8) Almost every day I need to read this verse. What a sense of peace we have, knowing that God IS with us.


One of the many blessings of this new place is the people of Concordia High School. Last week at a Concordia  girls’ Bible study, Allie read this verse: ”For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city to come.” (Hebrews 13:14) Wow. Exactly what I needed - to be reminded that we have no lasting city or home on this temporary earth, but we seek our permanent home in the city to come in heaven.  
What about you? Are you in a place of just wanting to go home? I would love to hear your story. Feel free to email me at ksmurdy@gmail.com.


Where is home? Of course home encompasses so much more than a physical home. My husband, children, and I have been discussing home frequently these past few weeks and months. How easy it is to be connected to our earthly homes.  But God has prepared the best home for us in heaven. Let us all keep a perspective, not becoming too attached to this earthly place, but keeping our eyes on our perfect home awaiting us in the city to come, heaven.

1 comment:

  1. Lather, rinse, repeat. Read it! Read it again! Do it daily!!

    ReplyDelete