December Delights

What brings you JOY this time of year?

While riding in the car the other morning, I read the  Advent devotion titled "Best Christmas Ever" written by Brenda Jank from Run Hard. Rest Well... The devotion starts out with "List 3 Christmas things that give you great joy." Over the next 45 minutes, as my husband and I commuted toward work, we discussed what brings us joy during the Advent and Christmas season...Christmas music, Advent and Christmas services, candles, lights, our family, reading an Advent devotion while sitting outside midday with an evergreen scented candle burning. I know. I know. That is more than three, and as I write this I am adding baking and eating Christmas cookies/treats to my joy list. (Creme De Menthe Brownie and sugar cookies-especially with almond flavoring-top my list.) Plus giving out the yummiest- Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory mints.

Christmas is about the greatest joy of all time and the best gift ever given-Jesus Christ, Savior of the world. December is also a perfect time when we can reflect the Light of the World and share peace and joy to a conflicted world. 

My friend sent me a link about a mom who wanted to teach her children that Christmas is about giving, not just getting. On her website she has many tools and ideas for  "Light 'em up"... to light up the world with love and kindness- giving presents or flowers to grocery clerks or garbage men, taping quarters to the washing machines at the laundromat, handing out candy canes to anyone working at a mall-to name just a few of her many suggestions. I can personally attest to the surprised and happy look on the face of the garbage man when gifted with a box of Rocky Mountain Chocolate mints. 

The very best December Delight is indeed Jesus.

Jesus came:

And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord."  Luke 2:10-11

Jesus comes:

Jesus said, "Behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:20

Jesus will come again:

Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. John 14:1-3

Here are two resources for December Delight that I love and want to share with you.

1. Reading the six meaningful Advent devotions by Brenda will help you stay focused on your December Delights and the coming Christ child amidst Christmas chaos. Best Christmas Devotions Link

2. Not for one more thing to add to December, but If you would like some great resources for lighting up the world with kindness check out  https://courtneydefeo.com/lightemup/

 I would love to hear your December delights.

No comments:

Post a Comment