GTT Day 6 Encouragement

 A week of encouragement!!!

The very fact that we would come all the way from Wisconsin was an encouragement to everyone we met in Texas.


On our work teams, we all encouraged each other as we worked side by side, and as we shared stories and laughter. 


For the people whose homes we cleaned, our presence, our work, our prayers, our hugs, our laughter; all was a huge encouragement to them.


One of my favorite memories from the week: Sam & Austin laughing as they used their teen-age strength to tear out a wall together.  Sam and Austin, teen-age son of the homeowner, had spent the day working side by side, and by the afternoon both were encouraging each other and having a very fun time, despite the tragedy of Austin losing so much. (The day before Austin's downcast face showed only tragedy. This day, at least for a while, some joy sparkled on his face.)

United we stand! There is so much division and nastiness in our country.  Far nastier than the horrid muck we cleaned out is the tenor of our country at times. Oh how very encouraging to all be on the same page working on a common goal, with hearts full of love!


YOU encouraged us with your prayers and your comments.  So many people sent texts or fb messages and comments that lifted us up and helped us continue on; especially when it was tough. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! And I was able to pass along to the people of Texas words of encouragement of people in Wisconsin and other states praying for them.


Carrie, Eric, and Melissa, our host family, encouraged us.


Some people were particularly instrumental in encouraging us to go to Texas: 

As always, my husband was the the first to embolden me to go after I had read the emails calling for people to come help. He helped me think through the details and overcome the obstacles, reassuring me that I could do this with Sam.

Next was Sam's soccer coach.  With it being mid-soccer season, we hated to ditch the team for a week.  I texted Coach Jacobson.  She immediately texted back, "Do it!" And she continued to encourage Sam.


My niece and godchild, Julie Meese, who lives in the Houston area and had so many friends and neighbors experience the devastation encouraged us to come. "You are so needed here."


On Saturday night before we left, I went to bed very conflicted about whether or not we should go to TX praying that God would just make it clear whether we should go or not. Sunday morning when I woke up, Ann Marie Vincent, my neighbor's voice was playing in my head, "Serve God and serve others."  She is always saying that phrase & on Sunday morning it was in my mind as I awoke. I decided we were supposed to go.



Day 6... hot tubbing, cookie baking, and story telling- a day to debrief and regroup.


Yesterday after finishing working, showering with again copious amounts of soap, and packing up, we headed to New Braunfels, TX to the home of my sister, Sharon, & her husband, Donald. Earlier in the week I had mentioned to Sharon that even after showering, I didn't feel clean, like I just needed to bath in bleach.  So both on Friday pm and Saturday, we went hot tubbing which soothed our aching muscles, washed our skin with chlorine, and filled our noses with something other than the putrid flood odor that I just couldn't shake. A time of telling our stories, baking chocolate chocolate chip cookies, basking in sweet sister time was so encouraging.

Saturday afternoon, we headed north towards Austin, attended a worship service, followed by supper and chocolate chip cookies at my brother Bill's house where we shared more stories with him, his wife, Carol, and Christopher, and Lisa, my niece, and her family. More encouragement.


"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 Thessalonians 5:11

Thanking God for:

almost perfect temperatures for all of our work days
sunshine
friends old and new who have been so encouraging
cookies
strong bodies
opportunity to serve
Coach Jacobson
AND SO MUCH MORE

No comments:

Post a Comment