GTT Day 4 No Snakes, Please

Exhausted, but excited!
This work is exhausting beyond belief, both physically and emotionally. You know how much I love to exercise, but I have definitely discovered muscles that prior to now have been unused and are now groaning. But I'm proud to say that I'm getting pretty whippy at running a wheel barrel. :)
Today started where we left off yesterday of hauling stuff out of the house. While bravely (or honestly not so bravely) helping to finish up emptying the kitchen cupboards with the bugs et al, stories were shared around of the snakes that people had come across while doing flood clean-up. And Sam reported to me that this family had seen 15 snakes in their yard. Oh my, please no snakes!! I thought the bugs were bad, but I really can't handle snakes. As I ventured outside I was on high alert for snakes. Thankfully I did not see any today. After the kitchen, several of us worked in the master bathroom and closests.  As I said yesterday, the septic tank right outside the window started flooding and overflowing first so the water in that room was very concentrated sewage water.  Add to that water sitting stagnant for about 12 days and hot temperatures, and what a combination of yuck awaits. I pulled out piles of soaked clothes from the whirlpool tub, took out racks of saturated hanging clothes from the closets, and gathered up many moldy shoes. (When the water is swirling 5 feet high, everything becomes a mess.) We filled wheel barrel after wheel barrel. Unfortunately in the bathroom, several great big bugs darted across the floor.  Sam got tired of hearing me scream & kicked me out of the bathroom to go work somewhere else.
We had a bigger work crew today, so it was very exciting to make so much progress. Initially we had 7 people and then 4 more people joined us. In addition, as we started making progress, the members of the family became more & more involved with the work. (I think it is just shocking for the people to go through this experience; they don't even know where to begin as it is so overwhelming.) Sam described this day as "demolition day" & he loved it.  He and Austin, one of the teen-age family members, really made a great team. They are strong. They worked hard. They accomplished much.

The question of the day: to open the refrigerator or not to open the refrigerator??? What is the right thing to do? Some say to just tape it shut to reduce the stench. Others say to open it to let the gases out. After my experience here, I vote tape it shut!

SO much more to tell, but I'm so tired I just have to sleep.

Thanking God for:
cool temperatures!!!!!! (low 80s)
wonderful relationships with the team members and home owners
no snakes today
laughter
sleep
AND SO MUCH MORE


No comments:

Post a Comment