A Gift that Lasts

Is it my imagination or does "Black Friday" come sooner and sooner each year...long before the old fashioned version of the day after Thanksgiving? HA! 

As Black Friday approaches-whatever day that may be for you personally-here a few fun suggestions of great books if you are buying presents for children, families, or those young at heart. 

Recently my boys again told me, "Mom, please make sure you have the Phyllis Reynolds Naylor books to read to our kids some day!" On long car rides, when they were younger, I read the Naylor Boy/Girl battle series. We laughed our heads off together at the adventure of the shenanigans of a family of four Hatford boys living next to a family of three Malloy girls.  (Dare I admit, reading these books made me thankful for my four boys over three girls?!) There are 12 books in that series. I found this interesting tidbit from Goodreads, "Though Phyllis Reynolds Naylor grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good books. Her parents enjoyed reading stories to the children and her mother read to them every evening 'almost until we were old enough to go out on dates though we never would have admitted this to anyone.'" 

One Christmas, my sister told us about Max Lucado's, You are Special. Once we read that, our library expanded with many other books written by him-all well loved, read and reread. 

Here are some of our top picks from Max Lucado:

You are Mine

Because I Love You

Small Gifts in God's Hands

Jacob's Gift (A Christmas one.This one gives me goosebumps every time.)

Other Christmas favorites:

The Very First Christmas by Paul L. Maier (Love the questions of the boy, Chris.)

The Legend of the Candy Cane by Lori Walburg

Books by Arnold Ytreeide we could not put downAfter I read a few chapters to my family- from these exciting adventure books of fictionalized characters set in true Biblical accounts-I had to cheat... When I put my kids to bed, I pulled the book back out to keep reading ahead. We read the ones from around the birth of Christ in November and December and the ones about Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection during Lent and Easter. Here are some of the titles of  Advent ones:

Jotham's Journey

Bartholomew's Passage

Tabitha's Travels

A final "must have" in every home is The Treasure Tree by John & Cindy Trent and Greg & Norma Smalley. An engaging story of four characters needing to work together utilizing their different personality types to find the treasure. 

What are some of your favorite books to read as a family?

READING-A GIFT THAT LASTS A FOR A LIFETIME!

Some of our favorite family memories are reading together! 

Read aloud to your children. 

Make books readily available in your home.  

What are some of your favorite books?

This Black Friday hunt for book specials and use for a lasting gift.





No comments:

Post a Comment