COURAGE Through the Covid-19 Storm:Thankfulness

Tips for THRIVING

As I have talked with people in this time of social distancing, I have been encouraged to write down some of the tips for thriving that I have learned through my professional career, my ongoing research, and my personal experiences.

Tip #1: Be THANKFUL

My Mom always declared, "Count your blessings!" Even when she was on her death bed, she looked at the Kleenex box noting, "Isn't that bear on the box so cute? I'm so thankful for that funny bear that  makes me smile."

On March 17th, my sister texted me, "Find 3 things to be thankful for today (mine are: sunshine, slower time with my family, a beautiful house to be "stuck" in)." 
A few days later my sister texted, "It's Jared's (son) birthday-1 month ago, I never would have thought he would be home for his birthday. A week and a 1/2 ago we had his birthday dinner (he was on spring break) because we were sure he would be back to college by now. Yesterday morning I thought it would be fun to spend the evening with him after I get home from work and today (unfortunately she got laid off from work because of stay in place orders) I get to spend the whole day with him-trying to keep it positive!" Wow- I was so impressed by my sister's thankfulness in spite of difficult circumstances.

I have been keeping a thankfulness/ "Happy Dance Journal" for a while. You can read about it here:http://karensuemurdy.blogspot.com/2018/10/strikes-curve-balls-and-happy-dancing.html
Each day I write my thankfulness/happy dance moment in my lovely soft leather journal made by https://www.murdycreative.co/!!!

Now each day, my sister and I have texted 3 things which we have been thankful for that day. Especially by evening, I can start to go down some negative bunny trails, but because I text 3 things I'm thankful for to my sister, I start to spend my day looking for the things for which I am thankful. 
When my neighbor and I were chatting (via text-social distancing-not sharing germs 😁), I was telling her how texting my 3 thankful things each day was helping me keep a better attitude, she also wanted to text our daily thankfulness. Now, besides my own thankfulness, I really look forward to the thankful texts from my sister and my neighbor.  

The apostle Paul encouraged the Thessalonians "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).

And now I encourage you also, give thanks in all circumstances! For what are you thankful today? Share with your family, friends and neighbors. I would love to hear, too. 

Right now I'm thankful that my doctor husband with asthma is working from home caring for his patients by telemedicine, my Senior at Concordia High School loves "seeing' his friends and teachers during online Zoom classes, the bluebonnets and wildflowers have burst forth in colorful bloom and the sky has been so brilliant cerulean blue, the temperatures are perfect for open windows with fresh spring breezes blowing into my home, and God promises "never to leave me nor forsake me" not even in Covid-19 craziness!

Covid-19 Challenge: Set a timer for 60 minutes and when it rings, gather everyone in your household to take a one minute walk outside and around a tree, each person sharing something for which they are thankful now. 
REPEAT. 
(If you are alone, do the same, but text someone what you are thankful for when you come back inside.)

PLEASE social distance for now 
  to protect the lives of first responders, health care workers, and the physically vulnerable among us.

 UP NEXT TIME: Tip #2 "Nix Nature Deficit Disorder"


4 comments:

  1. My three for today: 1. Sold our house 2. Snuggles with my daughters 3. Having my husband work from home means lunch together ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Thanks for sharing! God be with you & yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS! My latest three: 1. Fresh Spring air, allowing plentiful outdoor time. 2. Technology that's enabling my pastor-husband to record video for worship and daily Bible studies, for our church AND for anyone who tunes in, around the country! 3. Yummy flavored coffee/latte, right here at home, so I can pretend I'm on a coffee date with a friend while texting, etc. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. Technology certainly has allowed for a connectedness that makes this so much better. We are all learning so many new ways to live life (in ways we never before imagined).

    ReplyDelete